this feels wrong
We are having a mild winter. That is an understatement. We are experiencing an abnormally mild winter. It is Feb. 13, in Minnesota, and we had no snow and temps in the low 40s. Our neighbors are tapping their maple trees. And buds are swelling everywhere I look. Today, on my walk I noticed lilac, elderberry, maple, willow, aspen, and poplar all swelling. This is about one month early. I don’t know if those buds will survive a cold snap which I have to believe we will still have. It’s going to be a very strange spring here in the North. This is a poplar catkin. It looks like a pussy willow, but it is not. It is a closely related cousin. These fur-coated buds will eventually elongate into the dangling catkins you have seen me post before–usually in April.
(male) poplar catkins in mid-February
3 of 3
Here it is, my final stage of deconstruction. I inadvertently did another see/re-see mini series. Clearly I have that concept on the brain. Im curious, if you look at the last three posts, do you have a style you prefer? Do you lean more towards the realistic or the abstracted?
crushed winter botanicals sorted by color
2 of 3
a painter’s palette: 2 of 3. Isn’t this is an inviting palette? It’s making want to get my paints out. An afternoon spent pushing rich and creamy pigments across a canvas, with no concern about the outcome, is one of life’s great joys.
assemblage of dried botanicals
1 of 3
The painters needed me take down some drying botanicals which were in their way. So, I simply moved them from the wall to the floor, and photographed them as today’s STILL. After I made this image, I began to deconstruct them and made two more photos. The 3rd was my favorite, but you will have to wait.
assemblage of dried botanical subjects
50 shades of green
Today the entire interior of my home was draped in plastic sheeting. Remember the tree that fell on the house in July? We have been putting the house back together ever since. We needed new roof rafter, new skylights, new shingles, new siding, new insulation, new ceilings, and patched and new walls. We are finally at the point of putting the trim back around doors and windows, and painting out about half of the house. Repairs have been going on for two months. But today was the first time I was unable to get to my computer and my camera until late in afternoon (luckily painters start early and finish early). So, with just a few minutes of daylight remaining I reached for the potted geranium in the kitchen window. I didn’t know I needed this palette of various greens after all the winters browns and grays lately.
potted geranium leaves