work, work, work

whew, there is a lot of hard work going on around here. it reminds me of a poster i saw on pinterest a while ago. it was a photo of a woman looking utterly exhausted, and the caption read, “i just spent the entire day converting oxygen into carbon dioxide.” our back yard is impenetrably green right now, and it looks peaceful and bucolic. but it’s really a photosynthesizing chain gang.

unidentified new growth

saint paul,  minnesota

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

from the rotating collection

school is out, and our ten year old son is spending the majority of his time (at least those hours not spent watching the world cup) wandering about our yard euthanizing bugs in tupperware, spying on his older sister and her boyfriend, corralling entitled escapee chickens, and putting in some hard time on the daydreaming circuit. in my heart, i know this is what he’s supposed to be doing right now. but he could practice a little piano, couldn’t he? and dry a dish? and drop the underwear in the laundry basket instead of the middle of the floor one yardstick away? oh but then i wouldn’t have this meticulously curated collection of local fauna to share with you, would i?

this week’s gifts from joseph

saint paul, minnesota

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

the collection table

just inside my kitchen, there is a little wooden table that catches my STILL blog finds as i walk through the front door. maybe 70% of our visitors acknowledge it as a quirky but healthily curious pastime. the other 30% look over the jumble of bones, feathers, rocks, flowers dried weeds, and parts of animals, and manage more or less competently to hide their concern.

a collection of feathers found in may and june

saint paul, minnesota

  • Brigitte says:

    Hey there I am so delighted I found your website, I really found you by accident, while I was browsing on Askjeeve for something else,
    Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a marvelous post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I
    have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep
    up the awesome jo.

    reply
  • margie says:

    feathers are always so beautiful to find and collect

    reply
  • Candice says:

    Keeping collections is a hallmark when assessing children for giftedness. I’ll bet you’ve been a collector for quite some time.

    reply
    • Giftedness you say? Well, come to think of it…

      :-)

      reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

a weakness

i try to stay away from cultivated flora in STILL blog, but, well, peony is a weakness of mine.

pink peony blossom

minneapolis, minnesota

  • Candice says:

    Mine, too. Lovely photo.

    reply
  • Carrie says:

    ditto

    reply
  • Jenn says:

    Same here – but mine are still at least a week away from opening.

    reply
  • Ellen says:

    Perfect.

    reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

"/> "/>